Professor John Condon
Principal research fellow
PhD, Charles Darwin University, 2005; Master of Public Health, Harvard University, 1992; Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, Monash University, 1980; Fellow, Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine, 1991; Diploma of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, 1986; Certificate in Health Economics, Monash University, 1995.
Approved level of HDR supervision at Charles Darwin University:
Principal Supervisor for PhD
His research program focuses on cancer control and health system performance for Indigenous Australians, both in the Northern Territory (NT) and nationally. He is currently leading projects to develop national reporting for cancer incidence and survival and cervical screening performance for Indigenous Australians, and continues to develop the reporting of cancer screening, incidence and survival information in the NT. He is also leading the investigation of a cluster of vulvar cancer in young Indigenous women in Arnhem Land.
Other recent or current work includes investigating health system performance for Indigenous Australians with acute myocardial infarction and stroke, rheumatic heart disease, and hepatitis B infection. He has also undertaken extensive research and development in the area of Indigenous demography, focusing on long-term demographic trends in the NT Indigenous population. His research and capacity development work has been supported by over $12.2 million in grants and consultancies since 2000 and over 70 publications in the last 15 years.
He currently holds appointments at the Menzies School of Health Research and the NT Department of Health.
- A vulvar cancer cluster in young Indigenous women in Arnhem Land: investigation of community knowledge, genetic susceptibility and supportive care response
- Centre for Research Excellence in Discovering Indigenous strategies to improve cancer outcomes via engagement, research translation and training (DISCOVER-TT)
Whop, L.J., Baade, P., Garvey, G., Cunningham, J., Brotherton, J.M., Lokuge, K., et al. (2016). The first comprehensive report on Indigenous Australian women's inequalities in cervical screening: A retrospective registry cohort study in Queensland, Australia (2000-2011). Cancer, 122(10), 1560-1569. DOI: 10.1002/cncr.29954.
Condon, J.R., Warman, G., & Arnold, L. (2000). The Health and Welfare of Territorians. Territory Health Services, Darwin.
- Condon, J.R., Cunningham, J., Barnes, A., Armstrong, B.K., & Selva-Nayagam, S. (2006). Cancer diagnosis and treatment in the Northern Territory: assessing health service performance for Indigenous Australians. Internal Medicine Journal, 36 (8), 498-505.
- Wilson, T., Condon, J.R., & Barnes, T. (2007). Northern Territory Indigenous life expectancy improvements, 1967-2004. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 31(2), 184-8.
- Cunningham, J., Rumbold, A.R., Zhang, X., & Condon, J.R. (2008). Incidence, aetiology, and outcomes of cancer in Indigenous peoples in Australia. The Lancet Oncology, 9(6), 585-95.
- Condon, J.R., Rumbold, A.R., Thorn, J.C., O’Brien, M.M., Davy, M.J., & Zardawi, I. (2009). A cluster of vulvar cancer and vulvar intraepithelial neoplasia in young Australian Indigenous women. Cancer Causes & Control, 20(1), 67-74.
- You, J., Condon, J.R., Zhao, Y., & Guthridge, S. (2009). Incidence and survival after acute myocardial infarction in Indigenous and non-Indigenous people in the Northern Territory, 1992-2004. Medical Journal of Australia, 190(6), 298-302.
- Zhang, X., Condon, J.R., Rumbold, A.R., Cunningham, J., & Roder, D.M. (2011). Estimating cancer incidence in Indigenous Australians. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 35(5), 477–485.
- Garland, S.M., Brotherton, J.M.L., Condon, J.R., McIntyre, P.B., Stevens, M.P., Smith, D.W., et al. (2011). Human papillomavirus prevalence among indigenous and non-indigenous Australian women prior to a national HPV vaccination program. BMC Medicine, 9, 104.
- Guthridge, S., Ryan, P., Condon, J.R., Bromfield, L., Moss, J., & Lynch, J. (2012). Trends in child abuse and neglect among Northern Territory children, 1999 to 2010. Medical Journal of Australia, 197(11), 637-41.