Professor John Condon
Senior Principal Research Fellow
PhD, Charles Darwin University, 2005; Masters of Public Health, Harvard University, 1992; Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, Monash University, 1980;
Approved level of HDR supervision at Charles Darwin University:
Principal Supervisor for PhD
Professor John Condon is a public health physician and epidemiologist who has worked in the Northern Territory as a clinician, manager and researcher since 1980.
His research focuses on Indigenous health, health system performance and outcomes, cancer epidemiology and demographic trends.
His recent work includes leading the national studies investigating cancer incidence and survival, and cervical screening participation and outcomes, for Indigenous Australians, and investigations of cancer clusters in Aboriginal populations in Arnhem Land.
Other recent or current work includes investigating health system performance for Indigenous Australians with acute myocardial infarction and stroke, rheumatic heart disease, and hepatitis B infection. He has also undertaken extensive research and development in the area of Indigenous demography, focusing on long-term demographic trends in the NT Indigenous population. His research and capacity development work has been supported by over $12.2 million in grants and consultancies since 2000 and over 70 publications in the last 15 years.
He was previously the Director of the NT Department of Health’s Epidemiology Branch and led the development of clinical and population health monitoring systems in the NT.
- Whop, L.J., Baade, P., Garvey, G., Cunningham, J., Brotherton, J.M., Lokuge, K., et al. (2016). The first comprehensive report on Indigenous Australian women's inequalities in cervical screening: A retrospective registry cohort study in Queensland, Australia (2000-2011). Cancer, 122(10), 1560-1569. DOI: 10.1002/cncr.29954.
- Condon, J.R., Warman, G., & Arnold, L. (2000). The Health and Welfare of Territorians. Territory Health Services, Darwin.
- Condon, J.R., Cunningham, J., Barnes, A., Armstrong, B.K., & Selva-Nayagam, S. (2006). Cancer diagnosis and treatment in the Northern Territory: assessing health service performance for Indigenous Australians. Internal Medicine Journal, 36 (8), 498-505.
- Wilson, T., Condon, J.R., & Barnes, T. (2007). Northern Territory Indigenous life expectancy improvements, 1967-2004. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 31(2), 184-8.
- Cunningham, J., Rumbold, A.R., Zhang, X., & Condon, J.R. (2008). Incidence, aetiology, and outcomes of cancer in Indigenous peoples in Australia. The Lancet Oncology, 9(6), 585-95.
- Condon, J.R., Rumbold, A.R., Thorn, J.C., O’Brien, M.M., Davy, M.J., & Zardawi, I. (2009). A cluster of vulvar cancer and vulvar intraepithelial neoplasia in young Australian Indigenous women. Cancer Causes & Control, 20(1), 67-74.
- You, J., Condon, J.R., Zhao, Y., & Guthridge, S. (2009). Incidence and survival after acute myocardial infarction in Indigenous and non-Indigenous people in the Northern Territory, 1992-2004. Medical Journal of Australia, 190(6), 298-302.
- Zhang, X., Condon, J.R., Rumbold, A.R., Cunningham, J., & Roder, D.M. (2011). Estimating cancer incidence in Indigenous Australians. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 35(5), 477–485.
- Garland, S.M., Brotherton, J.M.L., Condon, J.R., McIntyre, P.B., Stevens, M.P., Smith, D.W., et al. (2011). Human papillomavirus prevalence among indigenous and non-indigenous Australian women prior to a national HPV vaccination program. BMC Medicine, 9, 104.
- Guthridge, S., Ryan, P., Condon, J.R., Bromfield, L., Moss, J., & Lynch, J. (2012). Trends in child abuse and neglect among Northern Territory children, 1999 to 2010. Medical Journal of Australia, 197(11), 637-41.