Honorary clinical fellow
Master Health Science (Nurse Practitioner), Charles Darwin University, 2014; Master Public Health, Charles Darwin University, 2008; Graduate Certificate Diabetes Education, Deakin University, 2002; Bachelor of Nursing (Post-Reg) Northern Territory University, 2000
Cherie Whitbread is a nurse practitioner and diabetes educator who has been working in the Northern Territory for 24 years.
She is a diabetes educator at Royal Darwin Hospital and the coordinator of Northern Territory and Far North Queensland Diabetes in Pregnancy Partnership with Menzies School of Health Research.
Cherie has been part of many working groups in the NT and nationally to improve the management and resources for people with diabetes. Since 2011, her key focus has been improving the health of women with diabetes in pregnancy through development of the NT Diabetes in Pregnancy clinical register and support for health professionals who provide clinical care for the women.
- Kirkham, R., Boyle, J., Whitbread, C., Dowden, M., Connors, C., Corpus, S., et al. on behalf of the NT Diabetes in Pregnancy Partnership (2017) Health services changes to address diabetes in pregnancy in a complex setting: perspectives of health professionals. BMC Health Services, 17(1):524
- Kirkham, R., Whitbread, C., Connors, C., Moore, E., Boyle, J., Richa, R.et al. on behalf of the NT Diabetes in Pregnancy Partnership (2017) Implementation of a Diabetes in Pregnancy Clinical Register in a complex setting: findings from a process evaluation. PLOS ONE, 12(8):e0179487
- Klein, J.*, Boyle, J.*, Kirkham, R., Connors, C., Whitbread, C., Oats, J., et al. on behalf of the NT Diabetes in Pregnancy Partnership (2017)(*These authors contributed equally) Preconception Care for Women with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: A Mixed-Methods Study of Provider Knowledge and Practice. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, 129:105-115
- Whitbread, C., Kirkham, R., Cheng, E., Thorbjornsen, E., Maple-Brown, L. (2017) Diabetes in Pregnancy in the Northern Territory. Australian Diabetes Educator Vol. 20, 1, 25-28
- Edwards, L., Connors, C., Whitbread, C., Brown, A., Oats, J., Maple-Brown, L. (2014) Improving health service delivery for women with diabetes in pregnancy in remote Australia: survey of care in the Northern Territory Diabetes in Pregnancy Partnership. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol, 54(6):534-40.
- Maple-Brown, L., Thomas, S., Connors, C., Whitbread, C., Chitturi, S. (2014) The Challenge of managing diabetes in pregnancy in the Northern Territory, (invited), Diabetes Management Journal, Vol 47 (32-34).
Among indigenous and nonindigenous women in Australia, the use of metformin in treating hyperglycemic conditions during pregnancy, does not lead to serious adverse events.
Nursing Review profile Cherie Whitbread
Territory Q Magazine recognising Cherie Whitbread's awards for the NT 2017 Nurse/Midwife of the Year and NT Excellence in Nursing/Midwifery Education and/or Research!
Cherie Whitbread received the award of 2017 Nurse/Midwife of the Year! Picture: Justin Kennedy NT News