Master of Philosophy (Applied Epidemiology), Australian National University, 2017; Master of Public Health, Menzies School of Health Research, 2011; Graduate Diploma in Public Health, Menzies School of Health Research, 2008; Bachelor of Applied Science (Medical Science), Queensland University of Technology, 2003
Anthony is a senior epidemiologist at the Northern Territory Centre for Disease Control specialising in communicable disease surveillance and outbreak investigations. His area of expertise is foodborne disease but is also involved in general disease surveillance and response activities as well as establishing and mounting contact tracing responses for diseases such as measles and COVID-19.
Anthony is the epidemiology and surveillance lead for Menzies’ projects in Timor-Leste including the Indo-Pacific Centre for Health Security funded STRONG (Surveillance, Training, Research Opportunities and National Guidelines) TL project, delivered by Menzies in partnership with the Ministry of Health in Timor-Leste, to improve communicable disease surveillance and control. This project involves side-by-side mentoring of Timorese surveillance staff and aims to build capacity to detect and respond to infectious disease threats in Timor-Leste and strengthen relationships between clinicians, scientists and surveillance. The project has so far contributed to the development of the Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) Guideline, draft Outbreak Investigation guidelines and Timor-Leste’s COVID-19 surveillance plan.
Anthony has previous experience working as a pathology scientist in Australia, Solomon Islands and Timor-Leste, and has been deployed in humanitarian responses as an epidemiologist to Papua New Guinea and Samoa.
- Surveillance, Training, Research Opportunities & National Guidelines (STRONG), Timor-Leste
- Fleming fund country grant to Timor-Leste
- Advancing Surveillance and Training to Enhance Recognition of Infectious Disease (ASTEROID), Timor-Leste.
- Xie, O., Markey, P.G., Draper, A.D.K. & Krause, V.L.K. (2020). Physical distancing and non-respiratory notifiable diseases in the Northern Territory, March-May 2020. Communicable Diseases Intelligence, 44. doi: 10.33321/cdi.2020.44.90.
- Draper, A.D.K., Dempsey, K.E., Boyd, R.H., Childs, E.M., Black, H.M., Francis, L.A., Markey, P.G. & Krause, V.L. (2020). The first 2 months of COVID-19 contact tracing in the Northern Territory of Australia, March-April 2020. Communicable Diseases Intelligence, 44. doi: 10.33321/cdi.2020.44.53.
- Remenyi, B., Davis, K., Draper, A., Bayley, N., Paratz, E., Reeves, B., Appelbe, A., Wheaton, G., da Silva Almeida, I.T., dos Santos, J., Carapetis, J. & Francis, J.R. (2020). Single parasternal-long-axis-view-sweep screening echocardiographic protocol to detect rheumatic heart disease (SPLASH): a prospective study of diagnostic accuracy. Heart, Lung and Circulation, 29(6), 859-866. doi: 10.1016/j.hlc.2019.02.196.
- Francis, J.R., Sarmento, N., Draper, A.D.K., Marr, I., Ting, S., Fancourt, N., Alves, L., Champlin, K., Bongers, A. & Yan, J. (2020). Antimicrobial resistance and antibiotic use in Timor-Leste: building surveillance capacity with a One Health approach. Communicable Diseases Intelligence, 44. doi: 10.33321/cdi.2020.44.1.
- Draper, A.D.K., Niha, M.A.V., Monteiro, M., Fancourt, N.S.S., Boyd, R.H. & Francis, J.R. (2019). Integrated disease surveillance and response in Timor-Leste. NT Disease Control Bulletin, 26(3), 20-23.
- Davis, K., Remenyi, B., Draper, A.D.K., dos Santos, J., Bayley, N., Paratz, E., Reeves, B., Appelbe, A., Cochrane, A., Johnson, T.D., Korte, L.M., do Rosario, I.M., da Silva Almeida, I.T., Roberts, K.V., Carapetis, J.R. & Francis, J.R. (2018). Rheumatic heart disease in Timor-Leste school students: an echocardiography-based prevalence study. Medical Journal of Australia, 208(7), 303-307. doi: 10.5694/mja17.00666.
- Draper, A.D.K., James, C.L., Pascall, J.E., Shield, K.J., Langrell, J. & Hogg, A. (2017). An outbreak of Salmonella Muenchen after consuming sea turtle, Northern Territory, Australia, 2017. Communicable Disease Intelligence, 41(4), E290-E294.
- Draper, A.D.K., Morton, C.N., Heath, J.N.I., Lim, J.A., Schiek, A.I., Davis, S., Krause, V.L. & Markey, P.G. (2017). An outbreak of salmonellosis associated with duck prosciutto at a Northern Territory restaurant. Communicable Disease Intelligence, 41(1), E16-E20.
- Draper, A.D.K., Morton, C.A., Heath, J.N.I., Lim, J.A. & Markey, P.G. (2017). An outbreak of Salmonella Saintpaul gastroenteritis after attending a school camp in the Northern Territory, Australia. Communicable Disease Intelligence, 41(1), E10-E15.
- Draper, A.D.K., Mayo, M., Harrington, G., Karp, D., Yinfoo, D., Ward, L., Haslem, A., Currie, B.J. & Kaestli, M. (2010). Association of the melioidosis agent Burkholderia pseudomallei with water parameters in rural water supplies in Northern Australia. Applied Environmental Microbiology, 76(15), 5305-5307. doi: 10.1128/AEM.00287-10.