Master of Public Health, Charles Darwin University, 2018; Bachelor of Science, University of Western Australia, 2017
Sarah’s work focuses on the relationship between alcohol use and harms, and how policies can impact these outcomes. She has a background in health promotion. Her PhD examines the impact of the 2017-18 NT alcohol reforms – specifically the Banned Drinker Register, Minimum Unit Price, and Police Auxiliary Liquor Inspectors - on domestic, family, and sexual violence. Sarah is supported by an Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) scholarship and a Menzies School of Health Research top-up scholarship.
- Baseline in the Grass: advancing harm reduction at festival in the NT
- LEarning from Alcohol Policy Reforms in the Northern Territory (LEARNT)
- Clifford, S., Smith, J.A., Livingston, M., Wright, C.J.C., Griffiths, K.E. & Miller, P.G. (2021). A historical overview of legislated alcohol policy in the Northern Territory of Australia: 1979–2021. BMC Public Health, 21, 1921. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-021-11957-5
- Wright, C.J.C., Clifford, S., Miller, M., D’Abbs, P., Giorgi, C., Crane, M. & Smith, J.A. (2021). While Woolworths reaps the rewards, the Northern Territory community will be left to clean up the mess. Health Promotion of Journal of Australia, 32, 158-162. https://doi.org/10.1002/hpja.488
- Adamson, E., Smith, J., Clifford, S., Wallace, T. (2021). Understanding the secondary supply of alcohol as a wicked policy problem: The unique case of the Banned Drinker Register in the Northern Territory. Australian Journal of Public Administration, 80(2), 283-299. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8500.12471
- Delima, J.F., Dingwall, K.M., Clifford, S., Cairney, S., Smith, J.A., Bowden, S.C. (2020). Unintended benefits of a Randomised Control Trial: A demonstration of the impact of coordinated continual professional development in a remote hospital setting. Australian Journal of Rural Health 28(6), 626-628. https://doi.org/10.1111/ajr.12687
- Adamson, E., Smith, J., Clifford. S., & Wallace, T. (2020). Industry views about the Banned Drinker Register in the Northern Territory: Early lessons from a qualitative evaluation. Drug and Alcohol Review, 40(2), 210-219. https://doi.org/10.1111/dar.13174
- Merlino, A., Clifford, S. & Smith, J. (2020). Alcohol and gender: new frontiers for health policy and practice in Australia. Drug and Alcohol Review, 40(2), 258-262. https://doi.org/10.1111/dar.13166
- Clifford, S., Smith, J., Adamson, E. & Wallace, T. (2020). Do alcohol price control measures adequately consider the health of very remote Australians?: Minimum Unit Price in the NT. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 44(4), 260-261. https://doi.org/10.1111/1753-6405.12994
- Clifford, S., Smith, J. & Christie, B (2020). “You see the very sharp edge of the problems of prejudice in town”: Youth service providers perceptions of a regional community Facebook group. Social Media and Society, 6(1). https://doi.org/10.1177/2056305120904708
- Clifford, S., Griffiths, K. & Smith, J.A. (2020). The impact of an alcohol floor price on critical care admissions in Central Australia [Letter to the editor]. Medical Journal of Australia, 212(8). https://doi.org/10.5694/mja2.50543
- Stephens, D., Clifford, S., Mellor, R., Van De Ven, K., Ritter, A., [...] & Christie, B. (2019). Demand Study for Alcohol Treatment Services in the Northern Territory. Darwin, Menzies School of Health Research.