PhD candidate; research assistant
Master of Public Health, Charles Darwin University, 2018; Bachelor of Science, University of Western Australia, 2017
After having spent the 18 months working as a qualitative research assistant predominately with the Alcohol, other Drugs and Gambling team (AODG), Sarah is undertaking a PhD nested within the LEarning from Alcohol (Policy) Reforms in the NT (LEARNT) project. LEARNT is a multi-institutional four-year project which will examine the impact of the reintroduction of the Banned Drinkers Register (BDR), alongside the wider framework of alcohol control measures - including the Minimum Unit Price and Police Auxiliary Liquor Inspectors. A mixed method in an iterative, staged program of work, her project seeks to better understand how alcohol restrictions are affecting violence against women in the Northern Territory. Sarah is supported by an Australian Government Research Training Program (RTP) scholarship.
In 2019 Sarah was one of twenty youth representatives who attended the WHO Global Meeting to Accelerate Progress on Non-Communicable Disease and Mental Health in Muscat, Oman; selected from over 650 applicants worldwide. Her attendance was fully funded by WHO. In 2019 she also won the Professor Chris Rissel Health Promotion Journal of Australia Reviewer Award. She has previously interned with the Northern Territory Government Women Health Strategy Unit and the Wheatbelt Public Health Unit (Northam, WA).
In addition to her PhD project, she continues part-time employment with the AODG team.
- BeyondBlue ‘Be You’ Evaluation: Western Australia - Kimberly and Pilbara
- Domestic, Family and Sexual Violence Reduction Framework: Monitoring and Evaluation Plans and Good Practice Review
- Northern Territory Youth Health Summit
- Banned Drinkers Register (BDR) Twelve Month Impact Evaluation
- Demand Study for Alcohol Treatment Services in the Northern Territory
- Katherine Youth Justice Reinvestment Project
- Clifford, S., Smith, J.A., Livingston, M., Wright, C.J.C., Griffiths, K.E. & Miller, P.G. (2021). A historical overview of legislated alcohol policy in the Northern Territory of Australia: 1979–2021. BMC Public Health, 21, 1921. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-021-11957-5
- Wright, C.J.C., Clifford, S., Miller, M., D’Abbs, P., Giorgi, C., Crane, M. & Smith, J.A. (2021). While Woolworths reaps the rewards, the Northern Territory community will be left to clean up the mess. Health Promotion of Journal of Australia, 32, 158-162. https://doi.org/10.1002/hpja.488
- Adamson, E., Smith, J., Clifford, S., Wallace, T. (2021). Understanding the secondary supply of alcohol as a wicked policy problem: The unique case of the Banned Drinker Register in the Northern Territory. Australian Journal of Public Administration, 80(2), 283-299. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8500.12471
- Delima, J.F., Dingwall, K.M., Clifford, S., Cairney, S., Smith, J.A., Bowden, S.C. (2020). Unintended benefits of a Randomised Control Trial: A demonstration of the impact of coordinated continual professional development in a remote hospital setting. Australian Journal of Rural Health 28(6), 626-628. https://doi.org/10.1111/ajr.12687
- Adamson, E., Smith, J., Clifford. S., & Wallace, T. (2020). Industry views about the Banned Drinker Register in the Northern Territory: Early lessons from a qualitative evaluation. Drug and Alcohol Review, 40(2), 210-219. https://doi.org/10.1111/dar.13174
- Merlino, A., Clifford, S. & Smith, J. (2020). Alcohol and gender: new frontiers for health policy and practice in Australia. Drug and Alcohol Review, 40(2), 258-262. https://doi.org/10.1111/dar.13166
- Clifford, S., Smith, J., Adamson, E. & Wallace, T. (2020). Do alcohol price control measures adequately consider the health of very remote Australians?: Minimum Unit Price in the NT. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health, 44(4), 260-261. https://doi.org/10.1111/1753-6405.12994
- Clifford, S., Smith, J. & Christie, B (2020). “You see the very sharp edge of the problems of prejudice in town”: Youth service providers perceptions of a regional community Facebook group. Social Media and Society, 6(1). https://doi.org/10.1177/2056305120904708
- Clifford, S., Griffiths, K. & Smith, J.A. (2020). The impact of an alcohol floor price on critical care admissions in Central Australia [Letter to the editor]. Medical Journal of Australia, 212(8). https://doi.org/10.5694/mja2.50543
- Stephens, D., Clifford, S., Mellor, R., Van De Ven, K., Ritter, A., [...] & Christie, B. (2019). Demand Study for Alcohol Treatment Services in the Northern Territory. Darwin, Menzies School of Health Research.