Lecturer; PhD student
Master of Public Health, University of New South Wales, 2008; Bachelor of Arts (Honours), University of Toronto, 2005
The prevention of post-partum haemorrhage in Mozambique
Karen has worked in the field of global health in project management and academic roles, in various countries including South Sudan, Democratic Republic of Congo and Pakistan. She has worked for the World Health Organization’s Health Emergency and Outbreak Unit in Geneva, Switzerland. Karen has undertaken research in Mozambique, Zambia, East Timor and the Pacific Region in the areas of HIV/AIDS, maternal and child health, health promotion and health seeking behaviour.
Karen is currently undertaking her PhD at the Menzies School of Health Research in global maternal health focusing on the prevention of post-partum haemorrhage in Mozambique. She is interested in both humanitarian aid and sustainable development projects that improve health outcomes. While living in Darwin, Karen worked in Remote Primary Health Care at the Northern Territory Department of Health. She is passionate about human rights and social justice.
- Hobday, K., Ramke, J., Du Toit, R., & Pereira, S. (2014). Health Eyes in Schools: An Evaluation of a school and community-based intervention to promote eye health in rural Timor-Leste. Health Education Journal.
- Martins, J., Zwi, A., Hobday, K., Bonaparte, F. & Kelly, P. (2013). Changing the malaria treatment protocol policy in Timor-Leste: an examination of context, process, and actors’ involvement. Health Research Policy and Systems, 11(16).
- Martins, J., Zwi, A., Hobday, K., Bonaparte, F. & Kelly, P. (2012). The implementation of a new malaria treatment protocol in Timor-Leste: challenges and constraints. Health Policy and Planning, 27(8),677-86.
- Ramke, J., Maher, L., Lee, L., Hobday, K., & Brian, G. (2012). Diabetes and its complications: awareness among adults aged ≥40 years in Timor-Leste. Clinical Experimental Optometry, 95(3),377-8.
- Ramke, J., Blignault, I., Hobday, K., Lee, L., & Brian, G. (2012). Primary Eye Care in Timor-Leste. British Journal of Ophthalmology, 96(1), 143-5.
- Hobday, K., Ramke, J., & du Toit, R.(2011). Eye health promotion in Western Pacific Island Countries. Clinical Experimental Optometry, 39(6), 584-5.
- Ramke, J., du Toit, R., Roberts, B., Pereira, S., & Hobday, K. (2011). Vision screening of children attending primary school in rural Timor-Leste. Clinical Experimental Optometry, 39(4), 377-8.
- Editor and contributor: Panzi Hospital Annual Activity Report 2012; Bukavu, Democratic Republic of Congo published February 2013.
- Zwi, A., Spurway, K., Ranmuthugala, G., Marincowitz, R., Thompson, L., & Hobday, K. (2013). Do community based disaster risk management (CBDRM) initiatives reduce the social and economic cost of disasters? Protocol. London: EPPI-Centre, Social Science Research Unit, Institute of Education, University of London