Dr Zhiqiang Wang
PhD, University of Calgary, 1997; Master of Medicine, Harbin Medical University, 1990; Bachelor of Medicine, Harbin Medical University, 1984
Zhiqiang Wang is a senior biostatistician at the Menzies School of Health Research in Darwin.
He has extensive experience in analysing large and complex observational datasets. As Chief Investigator A, he has completed five NHMRC projects on chronic disease epidemiology in Indigenous and international populations. To improve data analysis efficiency, he has developed various analysis techniques, including those for matching two or more groups according to multiple factors, and for assessing confounding effects in epidemiological studies.
He has collaborated with Australian and international researchers in analysing large survey datasets from U.S. (National Health Interview Survey, and NHANES), Australia (Australian Health Survey), and China (several national surveys). Using the linked mortality data to the National Health Interview Survey, and NHANES data, he has contributed to the understanding of long-term effects of obesity and diabetes on mortality in adults.
- Chronic disease epidemiology
- Wang Z, Peng Y, Dong B. Is body mass index associated with lowest mortality increasing over time? Int J Obes. 2017;41(8):1171-1175.
- Wang Z, Peng Y, Liu M. Age Variation in the Association Between Obesity and Mortality in Adults. Obesity 2017; 25 (12), 2137-2141.
- Wang Z, Zhang H, Liu M. Mortality in adults with and without diabetes: is the gap widening? Clinical Epidemiology 2017;9:537-544.
- Wang Z, Liu M. Life years lost associated with diabetes: An individually matched cohort study using the U.S. National Health Interview Survey data. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2016;118:69-76.
- Wang Z, Dong B, Hu J, Adegbija O, Arnold LW. Exploring the non-linear association between BMI and mortality in adults with and without diabetes: the US National Health Interview Survey. Diabet Med. 2016;33(12):1691-1699.
- Wang Z. Body Mass Index and All-Cause Mortality. JAMA. 2016;316(9):991-992.
- Wang Z, Liu M. Obesity-mortality association with age: wrong conclusion based on calculation error. Am J Public Health. 2014;104(7):e3-4.
- Wang Z, Dong B, Adegbija O, Sina M, Arnold L, Pan T, Hu J. Data sharing: a decade since the publication of the first cohort profile. Int J Epidemiol. 2014;43(6):1986-1987.
- Wang Z, Ma J. Prevalence and patterns of tobacco use in Asia (letter) Lancet, 2012; 380: 1905-1906.
- Wang Z, Hoy WE. Albuminuria as a marker of the risk of developing type 2 diabetes in non-diabetic Aboriginal Australians. Int J Epidemiol. 2006;35(5):1331-1335.