Dr Kiarna Brown
Senior Research Fellow, Child and Maternal Health Division
FRANZCOG; MBBS, University of Western Australia, 2005
Approved level of HDR supervision at Charles Darwin University:
Dr Kiarna Brown is a proud Territorian who is passionate about changing health outcomes for Aboriginal women and their babies. Kiarna is a dedicated Specialist Obstetrician Gynaecologist who shares her clinical time between both Royal Darwin Hospital and Darwin Private Hospital. She has recently had the privilege of accepting a Menzies Senior Research Fellow appointment.
Kiarna’s enthusiasm for Aboriginal Women’s Health is displayed in her role as a member of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RANZCOG) Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders Women’s Health Committee. She has also become a local champion for reducing premature births through her role with the National Preterm Birth Prevention Alliance.
Kiarna’s aspirations for her career are to see every Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander baby have the best possible start in life. She feels a great honour in supporting women from the Top End through their health care journeys.
- Child and Maternal Health
- Preterm Birth Prevention
- GLU: Prediction of preterm birth using vaginal microbiology
- PTB: Preterm Birth Alliance
- Brown, K. (2021). Providing the right tools before the start of life. The Lancet Global Health, 9(5), e569–e570.
- Brown, K., Langston-Cox, A., & Unger, H. (2021). A better start to life: Risk factors for, and prevention of, preterm birth in Australian First Nations women - A narrative review. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics, 155, 260–267, DOI 10.1002/ijgo.13907.
- Newnham, J., Schilling, C., Petrou, S., Morris, J., Wallace, E., Brown, K., Edwards, L., Skubisz, M., White, S., Rynne, B., Arrese, C., & Doherty, D. (2021). The health and educational costs of preterm birth to 18 years of age in Australia. The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 1-7. DOI 10.1111/ajo.13405.
- Morris, J., Brown, K., & Newnham, J. (2020). The Australian Preterm Birth Prevention Alliance. The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 60(3), 321–3.
- Clarke, M., & Brown, K. (2018). Editorial: Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander and Māori Women. The Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 58(6): E19–E20.