Senior research fellow
PhD, Charles Darwin University, 2012; Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians, 2007; Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, University of New South Wales, 1996; Bachelor of Science, 1991; Diploma of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, Mahidol University, Bangkok, 2002.
After completing his general medicine and infectious diseases specialist training, Josh performed clinical malaria research in Mozambique, Bangladesh, India and Thailand and completed his PhD at Menzies in 2012.
He is interested in the pathophysiology of malaria and the clinical management of infectious diseases in the resource poor setting.
In 2013 he commenced a National Health and Medical Health Resarch Council Early Career Fellowship based in the Global Health Division at Menzies.
- Pathophysiology of severe falciparum malaria
- Optimising the clinical management of adults with severe malaria in the resource-poor setting.
- Hanson J.P., Lam S.W., Mohanty S., Alam S., Pattnaik R., Mahanta K.C., et al. (2013). Fluid resuscitation of adults with severe falciparum malaria: effects on Acid-base status, renal function, and extravascular lung water. Critical Care Medicine, 41(4), 972-81.
- Taylor W.R., Hanson J., Turner G.D., White N.J., & Dondorp A.M. (2012). Respiratory manifestations of malaria. Chest, 142(2), 492-505.
- Hanson J., Lam S.W., Mahanta K.C., Pattnaik R., Alam S., Mohanty S., et al. (2012). Relative contributions of macrovascular and microvascular dysfunction to disease severity in falciparum malaria. The Journal of Infectious Diseases, 206(4), 571-9.
- Conway L.J., Robertson T.E., McGill J.J., & Hanson J.P. (2011). MELAS syndrome in an Indigenous Australian woman. The Medical Journal of Australia, 195(10), 581-2.
- Hanson J., Lam S.W., Mohanty S., Alam S., Hasan M.M., Lee S.J., et al. (2011). Central venous catheter use in severe malaria: time to reconsider the World Health Organization guidelines? Malaria Journal: 10:342.
- Nguyen H.P., Hanson J., Bethell D., Nguyen T.H., Tran T.H., Ly V.C., et al. (2011). A retrospective analysis of the haemodynamic and metabolic effects of fluid resuscitation in Vietnamese adults with severe falciparum malaria. PLoS One: 6(10), e25523.
- Hanson J., Hasan M.M., Royakkers A.A., Alam S., Charunwatthana P., Maude R.J., et al. (2011). Laboratory prediction of the requirement for renal replacement in acute falciparum malaria. Malaria Journal, 10:217.
- Hanson J., Lee S.J., Mohanty S., Faiz M.A., Anstey N.M., Charunwatthana P., et al. (2010). A simple score to predict the outcome of severe malaria in adults. Clinical Infectious Diseases, 50(5),679-85.