Dr Asanga Abeyaratne
Consultant Nephrologist and Specialist Physician
MBBS; FRACP; MRCP (UK);
Dr Asanga Abeyaratne is a Consultant Nephrologist and general medicine physician at the Royal Darwin Hospital since 2012 and provides clinical consultations on kidney disease also in remote aboriginal communities.
He was the clinical lead for home based renal replacement therapies in the NT and was instrumental in establishing renal telehealth clinics to remote communities such as West Arnhem land, Katherine East and West, and Port Keats. He has also been involved with several clinical research trials with the Top End Health Service including NHMRC funded randomised controlled trial for Iron Infusion in Haemodialysis Study (INFERR) as an Associate Investigator, and is an investigator of the CKD Consortium that aims to evaluate CKD identification and management in primary care in three jurisdictions (NT, Tas & VIC) across Australia.
Dr Asanga is the clinical lead for Territory Kidney Care (TKC) and has led the development of the diagnostic algorithms for TKC. He is an honorary clinical fellow of Menzies School of Health Research and a senior lecturer at the Flinders Medical School.
Territory Q | NT Digital Excellence Awards
Community Benefit Award in partnership with DXC Technology - Menzies Territory Kidney Care
- Naing, P., Playford, D., Falhammar, H., Abeyaratne, A., Strange, G., Joseph, S., Costelloe, E., & Kangaharan, N. (2019). Epidemiology of Pulmonary Hypertension at the Top End of Australia. Heart, Lung & Circulation, 28, S65–S65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hlc.2019.05.167
- Hughes, J.T., Majoni, S.W., Barzi, F., Harris, T.M., Signal, S., Lowah, G., Kapojos, J., Abeyaratne, A., Sundaram, M., Goldrick, P., Jones, S.L., McFarlane, R., Campbell, L.T, Stephens, D., & Cass, A. (2020). Incident haemodialysis and outcomes in the Top End of Australia. Australian Health Review, 44(2), 234–240. https://doi.org/10.1071/AH18230
- Brealey, J.K, Tran, Y., Ninnes, R., & Abeyaratne, A. (2018). Ultrastructural identification of a proximal tubulopathy without crystals in a relapsed multiple myeloma patient. Ultrastructural Pathology, 42(5), 458–463. https://doi.org/10.1080/01913123.2018.1526243
- Drewett, G., Abeyaratne, A., Priyadarshana, K., Majoni, S.W., & Sundaram, M. (2018). Recurrent peritonitis secondary to Bacillus cereus. Nephrology, 23(7), 703–703. https://doi.org/10.1111/nep.13163
- Haji, K., Wong, C.X., Chandra, N., Truong, H., Corkill, W., Kaethner, A., Naing, P., Abeyaratne, A., Brady, S.J., & Kangaharan, N. (2019). Pulmonary Hypertension in Central Australia: A Community-Based Cohort Study. Heart, Lung & Circulation, 28(4), 598–604. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hlc.2018.02.020
- Ramsamy, L., Lau, S., Abeyaratne, A., Haste, M., & Kangaharan, N. (2017). A Retrospective Audit of Post Discharge Outcome for Patients Supported by ‘Acute Coronary Syndrome Support Network’ to Remote Communities in the Northern Territory of Australia. Heart, Lung & Circulation, 26, S329–S329. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hlc.2017.06.664
- Ramanathan, G., Abeyaratne, A., Sundaram, M., Fernandes, D.K., Pawar, B., Perry, G.J., Sajiv, C., & Majoni, S.W.. (2017). Analysis of clinical presentation, pathological spectra, treatment and outcomes of biopsy‐proven acute postinfectious glomerulonephritis in adult indigenous people of the Northern Territory of Australia. Nephrology, 22(5), 403–411. https://doi.org/10.1111/nep.12797
- Floridis, J., Abeyaratne, A., & Majoni, S.W. (2015). Prevalence and clinical impact of magnesium disorders in end-stage renal disease: A protocol for a systematic review. Systematic Reviews, 4(1), 76–76. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13643-015-0063-x
- Majoni, S.W., Ellis, J., Hall, H., Abeyaratne, A., & Lawton, P.D. (2014). Inflammation, high ferritin, and erythropoietin resistance in indigenous maintenance hemodialysis patients from the Top End of Northern Australia. Hemodialysis International, 18(4), 740–750. https://doi.org/10.1111/hdi.12173
- Burke, M., McDonald, S., Perry, G., Abeyaratne, A., Majoni, S., Cherian, S., Emery, T., & Russ, G. (2013). South Australian and Northern Territory Indigenous Transplant Outcomes, 2001-2011. Nephrology, 18, 49.