Dr Ella Meumann
Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians, 2015; Diploma of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine, 2010; Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery with Honours, University of Tasmania, 2007.
Genomic Epidemiology of Tuberculosis, Melioidosis, and Community-Onset Acinetobacter baumannii in the Northern Territory.
Dr Ella Meumann is an infectious diseases physician at Royal Darwin Hospital and a PhD candidate at Menzies School of Health Research and Charles Darwin University. Her research is on the application of genomic sequencing to infectious disease epidemiology in the Top End of the Northern Territory, and includes work on tuberculosis, melioidosis and Acinetobacter baumannii.
The Northern Territory has done as well as any health system in the country at flattening the COVID-19 curve. Dr Nick Douglas and his colleagues discuss with MJA how this was achieved.
The rate of tuberculosis (TB) in the Northern Territory (NT) is decreasing. However it is still the highest in Australia, according to a collaborative study between the Northern Territory Centre for Disease Control, Menzies School of Health Research and the Doherty Institute.
- Caly, L., Davidson, N., Ghimire, R., Rajaratnam, B., Marrow, J., Baird, R., Meumann, E. M., & Druce, J. (2019). Extended detection and isolation of Murray Valley encephalitis virus in whole blood and urine. The Medical Journal of Australia, 211(11), 499–500.e1. https://doi.org/10.5694/mja2.50423
- Meumann, E. M., Anstey, N. M., Currie, B. J., Piera, K. A., Baird, R., Sarovich, D. S., & Davis, J. S. (2019). Whole-Genome Sequencing to Differentiate Relapse From Reinfection in Community-Onset Bacteremic Acinetobacter baumannii Pneumonia. Open Forum Infectious Diseases, 6(7), ofz263. https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofz263
- Meumann, E. M., Anstey, N. M., Currie, B. J., Piera, K. A., Kenyon, J. J., Hall, R. M., Davis, J. S., & Sarovich, D. S. (2019). Genomic epidemiology of severe community-onset Acinetobacter baumannii infection. Microbial Genomics, 5(3), e000258. https://doi.org/10.1099/mgen.0.000258
- Meumann, E. M., Globan, M., Fyfe, J., Leslie, D., Porter, J. L., Seemann, T., Denholm, J., & Stinear, T. P. (2015). Genome sequence comparisons of serial multi-drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates over 21 years of infection in a single patient. Microbial Genomics, 1(5), e000037. https://doi.org/10.1099/mgen.0.000037
- Meumann, E. M., Mitchell, B. G., McGregor, A., McBryde, E., & Cooley, L. (2015). Urinary Escherichia coli antimicrobial susceptibility profiles and their relationship with community antibiotic use in Tasmania, Australia. International Journal of Antimicrobial Agents, 46(4), 389–393. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2015.05.015
- Meumann, E. M., Chuen, J., Fitt, G., Perchyonok, Y., Pond, F., & Dewey, H. M. (2014). Thromboembolic stroke associated with thoracic outlet syndrome. Journal of clinical neuroscience. Official Journal of the Neurosurgical Society of Australasia, 21(5), 886–889. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocn.2013.07.030
- Meumann, E. M., Cheng, A. C., Ward, L., & Currie, B. J. (2012). Clinical features and epidemiology of melioidosis pneumonia: results from a 21-year study and review of the literature. Clinical Infectious Diseases : an official publication of the Infectious Diseases Society of America, 54(3), 362–369. https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/cir808
- Meumann, E. M., Novak, R. T., Gal, D., Kaestli, M. E., Mayo, M., Hanson, J. P., Spencer, E., Glass, M. B., Gee, J. E., Wilkins, P. P., & Currie, B. J. (2006). Clinical evaluation of a type III secretion system real-time PCR assay for diagnosing melioidosis. Journal of Clinical Microbiology, 44(8), 3028–3030. https://doi.org/10.1128/JCM.00913-06