The Human Research Ethics Application (HREA)
In January 2017 the Human Research Ethics Application (HREA) hosted by the NHMRC replaced the National Ethics Application Form (NEAF).
Although the local HREC Application form is preferred, the NHMRC HREA may be submitted to the NT Department of Health and Menzies Human Research Ethics Committee if research projects require ethics approval from another state or the research is considered to be a multi-site study with sites outside the NT. Please check with HRECs in other states for specific requirements.
If your research only involves NT sites, then please use the local HREC Application form for each NT HREC.
If you do use the NHMRC Human Research Ethics Application (HREA) form, please include the NT specific requirements.
Please use the Ethics Application Checklist to ensure that you have completed all the requirements for your application and included all the relevant supporting documents.
NT requirements for HREA
- Please include a comprehensive cover letter explaining the NT component of the research
- Please include contact details and an explanation of the role in the project for local researchers if they have not been included on the HREA
- Please include evidence of local site support and site specific assessments (refer to Stakeholder Site Support web page)
- Please note that the majority of research conducted in the Northern Territory will, deliberately or otherwise, involve or impact on Aboriginal people. Please select the participant category for Aboriginal and Torre Strait Islander people in HREA Q1.19 unless you are specifically excluding them i.e. select this category even if you are not specifically targeting this group of people or if you are using pre-existing data. Then please complete the participant specific questions P8.1 to P8.3 by addressing the six core values in your response after referring to the document Ethical conduct in research with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples and communities: Guidelines for researchers and stakeholders, 2018. Alternatively Please complete part D of the HREC Application to attach to your HREA
- Please use the Ethics Application Checklist to ensue that you have completed all the requirements for your application and included all the relevant supporting documents
Click here for the HREA form.
Click here for the HREC application form.
Click below for Part D of the NT HREC Application Form.