Provides an overview of key concepts and approaches used in quality improvement in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander primary health care.
Module 1 takes aproximately 30min (excluding readings)
Complete Module 01 | Click here
- Identify the principles of population health and primary health care in the context of Indigenous health
- Describe the aim, principle and processes of CQI in Indigenous primary health care
- Describe the role of population data in quality improvement
- Identify the elements required within an organisation for CQI to work well
- Lunnay, B.K., McIntyre, E. & Oliver-Baxter, J. (2014). Fact Sheet: Primary Health Care Matters, Primary Health Care Research and Information Service. Flinders University.
- The World Health Report (2008). Primary Health Care (Now more than Ever). World Health Organization.
- Bailie, R., Si, D., O’Donoghue, L. & Dowden, M. (2007). Indigenous health: effective and sustainable health services through continuous quality improvement. The Medical Journal of Australia, 186(10), 525-527. doi: 10.5694/j.1326-5377.2007.tb01028.x.
- The World Health Organisation (2005). Preparing a healthcare workforce for the 21st century. World Health Organisation, Geneva. pp 19-20, 33-38.
- Dade Smith, J. (2005). Educating to improve population health outcomes in chronic disease: A curriculum package to integrate a population health approach for the prevention, early detection and management of chronic disease when educating the primary health care workforce in remote and rural northern Australia. Menzies School of Health Research, Darwin
- Dade Smith, J., O'Dea, K., McDermott, R., Schmidt, B. & Connors, C. (2006). Educating to improve population health outcomes in chronic disease: An innovative workforce initiative across remote, rural and Indigenous communities in northern Australia. Rural Remote Health, 6(3), 606. PMID: 16907625.
- Health Canada, Population and Public Health Branch, Strategic Policy Directorate (2001). 'The Population Health Template, Key Elements and Actions That Define a Population Health Approach'. Health Canada
- Rogers, W. & Veale, B. for the National Information Service (2000). Primary Health Care and General practice: a scoping report. Flinders Press, Australia. doi: 10.1186/1743-8462-3-1.
- National Aboriginal Health Strategy Working Party (1989), A National Aboriginal Health Strategy. NAHSWP, Canberra
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, 2013, 'Indigenous health'