Dr. Himanshu Gupta
Ph.D. (Public Health), Curtin University, Australia, 2019; Master of Public Health (MPH), University of Glasgow, UK, 2012; Advanced Dip Clinical Research Management, University College London (UK) and International Institute of Health Management Research (India), 2010; Bachelor of Physiotherapy, Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, India, 2008;
Approved level of HDR supervision at Charles Darwin University:
Associate for PhD and Masters, Principal for Masters
Himanshu is an experienced physiotherapist, clinical researcher, and public health professional. He holds a Doctoral degree in public health, with a focus on health promotion and policy.
He is an early career researcher with substantial research, policy, and practice experience spanning alcohol and other drugs, gambling, chronic diseases, mental health, and social services settings, in diverse national contexts (Australia, India, and the UK) and with various population groups.
He has been awarded multiple research grants, amounting to more than $900,000, and published several papers in international journals and newsletters and serves as reviewer for international journals.
Himanshu is a Research Fellow with the Alcohol and Other Drugs and Gambling research team at Menzies School of Health Research. He manages multiple Northern Territory Government (NTG) funded research and evaluation projects relating to gambling, youth, mental health, and Indigenous-focused research. He also contributes to teaching at Charles Darwin University (CDU), as an examiner for Higher Degree by Research theses.
- Exploring gamblers perceptions of harm minimisation and health promotion
- The 2018 NT Gambling Prevalence and Wellbeing Survey
- The trial of the Northern Territory Housing Accommodation Support Initiative (NT HASI) 2018-2020
- Best practice service approaches to improving social and emotional wellbeing in Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander young people
- The Northern Territory Primary Health Network (NTPHN) Social and Emotional Wellbeing (SEWB) Program
Uncle Mick and Jesse John Fleay met with Professor James Smith and his team at Menzies School of Research in Darwin.
Campus Morning Mail | The Alcohol and Drug Foundation 2019 research award goes to Menzies School of Health Research
The Alcohol and Drug Foundation 2019 research award goes to the Alcohol, Other Drugs and Gambling Team at the Menzies School of Health Research, in Darwin
Menzies School of Health Research, has won the Research Award at the 2019 National Alcohol and Other Drugs Excellence and Innovation Awards in Melbourne.
- Gupta, H., Lam, T., Pettigrew, S. and Tait, R., J. (2018). Alcohol marketing on YouTube: Exploratory analysis of content adaptation to enhance user engagement in different national contexts. BMC Public Health, 18, (141). DOI: 10.1186/s12889-018-5035-3 View web page
- Gupta, H., Lam, T., Pettigrew, S. and Tait, R., J. (2018). The association between exposure to social media alcohol marketing and youth alcohol use in India and Australia. BMC Public Health, 18, (726). DOI: 10.1186/s12889-018-5645-9 View web page
- Gupta, H., Lam, T., Pettigrew, S. and Tait, R., J. (2017). A cross-national comparison of the Twitter feeds of popular alcohol brands in India and Australia. Drugs: Education, Prevention & Policy. pp. 1-9. DOI: 10.1080/09687637.2017.1411886 View web page
- Gupta, H., Pettigrew, S., Lam, T. and Tait, R., J. (2017). How alcohol marketing engages users with alcohol brand content on Facebook: An Indian and Australian perspective. Critical Public Health. DOI: 10.1080/09581596.2017.1318203 View web page
- Gupta, H., Pettigrew, S., Lam, T. and Tait, R., J. (2016). A systematic review of the impact of exposure to internet-based alcohol-related content on young people’s alcohol use behaviours. Alcohol and Alcoholism, 51, (6), pp. 763-771. DOI: 10.1093/alcalc/agw050 View web page
- Arora, M., Dahiya, P., Nazar, G., Gupta, H., Singh, D. and Sahoo, P. (2015). A report on alcohol marketing and regulatory policy environment in India. Public Health Foundation of India. View web page
- Gupta, H. (2015). Alcohol portrayal in Bollywood movies: enticing youth towards alcohol use in India [Featured Article]. Public Health Perspective (Nepal) online newsletter, 3, (9). View web page
- Gupta, H. (2015). Mainstreaming as a response to HIV/AIDS in India: an innovative multi-sectoral approach. POPLINE health database. View web page
- Gupta, H. (2015). Report on the impact evaluation of the “Char Ganth” communication campaign on birth preparedness in Bihar. BBC Media Action. Download PDF
- Gupta, H. (2014). Barriers to and facilitators of long term weight loss maintenance in adult UK people: a thematic analysis. International Journal of Preventive Medicine, 5, (12), pp. 1512-1520. View web page