Dr Athira Rohit
Senior research officer
PhD, University of New South Wales, Sydney, 2015; BS, Bausch & Lomb School of Optometry, 2008
Athira joined Menzies in August 2015 as a research assistant to work on a project investigating the cardiovascular disease risk in Indigenous Australians.
In 2016, Athira joined the nutrition team as a senior research officer, undertaking research to inform the development of an appropriate intervention to enhance early child feeding practices to reduce the risk of later life overweight and obesity.
- Assessing the diets of mothers and children to inform a dietary intervention
- Exploring parent feeding practices in Indigenous families
- Rohit, A., Tonkin, E., Maple-Brown, L., Golley, R., McCarthy, L., Brimblecombe, J. (2018). Parent feeding practices in the Australian Indigenous population within the context of non-Indigenous Australians and Indigenous populations in other high income countries – a scoping review. Advances in Nutrition, in press.
- Rohit, A., Brimblecombe, J., O’Dea, K., Tonkin, E., Maypilama, E., Maple-Brown, L. (2018). Development of a short-item diet quality questionnaire for Indigenous mothers and their young children: The Menzies remote short-item dietary assessment tool. Australian Journal of Rural Health.
- Tonkin, E, Kennedy, D, Golley, R, Byrne, R, Rohit, A, Kearns, T, Hanieh, S, Biggs, BA & Brimblecombe, J 2018, 'The Relative Validity of the Menzies Remote Short-Item Dietary Assessment Tool (MRSDAT) in Aboriginal Australian Children Aged 6-36 Months', Nutrients, 10(5).
- Rohit, A., Willcox, M., Stapleton, F. (2017). Lipid Supplements and Clinical Aspects of Tear Film in Habitual Lens Wearers. Optometry and Vision Science, 94 (2); 174-182.
- Rohit, A., Willcox, M., Stapleton, F. (2016).Effects of Lipid Supplements on Tear Biochemistry in Contact Lens Wearers. Optometry and Vision Science, 93 (10); 1203-1209.
- Rohit, A., Stapleton, F., Brown, S., Mitchell, T., Willcox, M. (2014). Comparison of tear lipid profile in basal, reflex and flush tear samples. Optometry and Vision Science, 91 (12), 1391-1395.
- Rohit, A., Willcox, M., Brown, S., Mitchell, T., Stapleton, F. (2014). Clinical and biochemical tear lipid parameters in contact lens wearers. Optometry and Vision Science, 91 (12), 1384-1390.
- Rohit, A., Ehrmann, K., Naduvilath, T., Willcox, M., Stapleton, F. (2014) Validating a new device for measuring tear evaporation rates. Ophthalmic & Physiological Optics, 34, 53-62.
- Rohit, A., Willcox, M., Stapleton, F. (2013). Tear lipid layer and contact lens comfort; a review. Eye & Contact Lens, 39, 247–253.
- Korani, J., Rose, A., Williams, J.D. (2015). A prospective study to assess the quality of teachers screening in Andhra Pradesh. Journal of Community Medicine & Health Education, 5(342).
An early career researcher is looking into ways in which her work in nutrition research can support Indigenous parents and families to make healthy food choices for their children. Her team’s ultimate goal is empowering parents to help prevent...