- Australian Government, Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet
- Northern Territory Government, through the Child and Youth Development Research Partnership (CYDRP)
- Dr Catia Malvaso, University of Adelaide
- Dr Damien Howard, Phoenix Consulting, Nightcliff, NT
- Kylie Stothers, Indigenous Allied Health Australia (IAHA)
The study was led by Dr. Jiunn-Yih Su with the Centre for Child Development and Education, Menzies School of Health Research, and the Charles Darwin University.
A team of researchers led by Menzies, CDU, recommend better early detection for treatment to support students with hearing difficulties.
Study investigating the impact of hearing impairment on school attendance for children published in the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health.
The study will describe the effects of diagnosed hearing loss on children’s life course trajectories of development into adulthood. This will include outcomes in school attendance and academic performance, contact with child protection services and with the youth justice system.
For further information about the study, please email.
The project ran from 10 April 2018 – 27 July 2018.
- He, V.H., Su, J.Y., Guthridge, S.L., Malvaso, C.G., Howard, H., Williams, T., & Leach, A. (2019). Hearing and justice: The link between hearing impairment in early childhood and youth offending in Aboriginal children living in remote communities of the Northern Territory Australia. Health & Justice,7,16.https://doi.org/10.1186/s40352-019-0097-6.
- Su, J.Y., Guthridge, S., He, V., Howard, D., & Leach, A. (2019). The impact of hearing impairment on Aboriginal children's school attendance in remote Northern Territory: a data linkage study. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Public Health. Online. doi/full/10.1111/1753-6405.12948.
- He, V.Y., Guthridge, S., Su, J. et al. (2020). The link between hearing impairment and child maltreatment among Aboriginal children in the Northern Territory of Australia: is there an opportunity for a public health approach in child protection?. BMC Public Health, 20, 449. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-020-8456-8.
- Su, J.Y., He, V.Y., Guthridge, S.L., & Silburn, S. (2020). The impact of hearing impairment on the life trajectories of Aboriginal children in remote Australia: protocol for the hearing loss in kids study. JMIR Research Protocols, 9(1), e15464. doi: 10.2196/15464.