The Northern Territory (NT) Government approached Menzies School of Health Research to carry out a 2018 Gambling Prevalence and Wellbeing Survey. As part of the survey, this qualitative study will provide insights into gamblers and affected other’s attitudes towards gambling behaviours and regulation, factors associated with problem gambling, and the barriers to and facilitators of help-seeking, among gamblers and those affected by someone else’s gambling problems.
It is anticipated that the results of the study will help policy makers, help services and industry to identify the opportunities and challenges of using a health promotion approach to increase the uptake of help-seeking associate with problem gambling and tailor interventions to minimise gambling-related harm in NT. The results will be reported back to the NT Government late 2019, with the main report disseminated to a range of stakeholders, and made available on the Menzies and Northern Territory Government Attorney General and Justice Department websites.
Information for study participants:
- 2019 Exploring gamblers perceptions of harm minimisation and health promotion Participant information sheet
- The Northern Territory Government Department of Attorney General and Justice through the Community Benefit Page
Project Manager and contact:
- Dr Himanshu Gupta
- email - firstname.lastname@example.org
- phone - 08 8946 8597
- Gambling helpline: 1800 858 858 (Toll free)
- Crisis Helplines:
- Lifeline 13 11 14 (Toll free)
- Domestic Violence helpline 1800 737 737 (Toll free)
- August 2018 - December 2019