Dr Sean Taylor
Deputy Director Indigenous Leadership and Engagement, Menzies School of Health Research
Executive Director Aboriginal Health & Diversity, NT Health Top End
Dr Sean Taylor is descendent of the Dauareb Tribe, one of the eight tribes of Mer (Murray) Island in the Eastern Torres Strait region.
He is the Deputy Director Indigenous Leadership and Engagement (DDILE), Menzies School of Health Research.
Sean has over 20 years of clinical experience in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health working at different levels across Australia in range of academic and research interest, as well as clinical practice. He started his career as an Indigenous health worker in his home community of Mer Island in the mid-1990s and later completed a Bachelor of Nursing Science, Graduate Certificate in Health: Diabetes Management & Education, Bachelor of Health Sciences (Honours) and later a Doctor of Public Health at James Cook University.
Sean currently holds a joint appointments as the DDILE and Executive Director Aboriginal Health and Diversity with NT Health, Top End based in Darwin and an Adjunct Associate Professor, Public Health and Tropical Medicine with James Cook University.
Sean is currently a member of National Health and Medical Research Council Principal Committee Indigenous Caucus and Consumer and Community Advisory Working Group, a member of the National Partnering with Consumers Committee and LGBTQIA+ Health Australia and a co-investigator on multiple successful nationally competitive grants.
Sean is currently involved with the following committee’s and organisations:
- Chair of NT Health, Top End, Big Rivers and East Arnhem:
- Partnering with Consumers Committee
- Communicating for Safety Committee
- Aboriginal Health Committee
- Aboriginal Health Partnership Committee
- LGBTQIA+ Committee and
- Multicultural Committee
- Chair of the Reconciliation Action Plan Committee with Menzies School of Health Research
- Chair for Top End Pride Committee
- President Elect For Rotary Darwin Sunrise.
Previously, Sean held positions at:
- Aboriginal Health Council of Australia
- the Centre for Kidney Research - University of Sydney
- Sansom Institute for Health Research – University of South Australia
- Centre for Research Excellence in Chronic Disease Prevention in Rural and Remote Communities – University of South Australia
- Centre for Chronic Disease Prevention – Australian Institute of Tropical Health & Medicine, James Cook University and Torres and Cape Hospital and Health Service.
- (08) 8946 8600