Professor Anne Chang
Head, Child Health Division
PhD, University of Melbourne, 1998; Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, James Cook University, 2000; Graduate Certificate in Tertiary Education, Flinders University, 2002; Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, University of Melbourne, 1988; Fellow, Asian Pacific Society of Respirology, 2013; Fellow, Royal Australasian College of Physicians, 1995.
Professor Anne Chang is an established leading researcher with international recognition in cough, bronchiectasis and evidence based medicine (EBM) related to paediatric respiratory medicine. She has helped develop and apply EBM for respiratory illnesses nationally and internationally. She is the editor of two EBM series, one on respiratory medicine and the other on Indigenous health.
Professor Chang is also responsible for changing paradigms in the investigation and management of paediatric cough leading to earlier diagnosis of bronchiectasis, describing a pre-bronchiectasis condition (PBB), the inclusion of respiratory symptoms in primary care child assessments (Northern Territory and Queensland) and the establishment of the first international Indigenous collaborative respiratory study.
- A HOspitalised Pneumonia with Extended treatment (HOPE) Study
- ICS: Randomised Placebo Controlled Trial of Inhaled Corticosteroids for Treatment of Acute and Chronic Cough in Children
- Is long term weekly azithromycin use for bronchiectasis in Indigenous children associated with antibiotic resistance?
- An RCT of a family tobacco control program to reduce respiratory illness in Indigenous infants
- Protracted bacterial bronchitis: long term outcomes and predictors of recurrence
- An RCT of azithromycin to reduce the morbidity of severe bronchiolitis in Indigenous infants.
- Newcombe, P.A., Sheffield, J.K. & Chang, A.B. (2013). Parent cough-specific quality of life: development and validation of a short form. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology, 131(4), 1069-74.
- Chang, A.B., Robertson, C.F., van Asperen, P.P., Glasgow, N.J., Masters, I.B., Teoh, L., et al. (2013). A cough algorithm for chronic cough in children: a multicenter, randomized controlled study. Pediatrics, 131(5), e1576-83.
- Pizzutto, S.J., Grimwood, K., Bauert, P., Schultz, K.L., Yerkovich, S.T., Upham, J.W. & Chang, A.B. (2013). Flexible bronchoscopy contributes to the clinical management of Indigenous children with non-cystic fibrosis bronchiectasis. Pediatric Pumonology, 48(1), 67-73.
- Chang, A.B., Yerkovich, S.T., Gibson, P.G., Anderson-James, S., Petsky, H.L., Carroll, M.L., et al. (2012). Pulmonary innate immunity in children with protracted bacterial bronchitis. Journal of Pediatrics, 161(4), 621-625.
- Chang, A.B., Robertson, C.F., van Asperen, P.P., Glasgow, N.J., Mellis, C.M., Masters, I.B., et al. (2012). A multi-centre study on chronic cough in children: burden and etiologies based on a standardized management pathway. Chest, 142(4), 943-950.
- Petsky, H.L., Cates, C.J., Lasserson, T.J., Li, A.M., Turner, .C, Kynaston, J.A. & Chang, A.B. (2012). A systematic review and meta-analysis: tailoring asthma treatment on eosinophilic markers (exhaled nitric oxide or sputum eosinophils). Thorax, 67(3), 199-208.
- Chang, A.B. & Redding, G.J. (2012). Bronchiectasis and Chronic Suppurative Lung Disease. In R.W. Wilmott, T.F. Boat, A. Bush, V. Chernick, R.R. Deterding & F. Ratjen (Eds.), Kendig & Chernick's Disorders of the Respiratory Tract in Children (Eighth Edition) (pp. 473-488). Philadelphia: Elsevier.
- Marchant, J.M., Masters, I.B., Champion, A., Petsky, H.L. & Chang, A.B. (2012). Randomised controlled trial of amoxycillin-clavulanate in children with chronic wet cough. Thorax, 67(8), 689-693.
- Newcombe, P., Dunn, T., Casey, L., Sheffield, J., Petsky, H.L., Anderson-James, S. & Chang, A.B. (2012). Breathe Easier Online: An evaluation of a randomised controlled trial to improve well-being in children and adolescents with a chronic respiratory condition. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 14(1), e23.
- Chang, A.B., Bell, S.C., Byrnes, C.A., Grimwood, K., Holmes, P., King, P.T., et al. (2010). Thoracic Society of Australia and New Zealand (TSANZ) and Australian Lung Foundation position statement. Chronic suppurative lung disease and bronchiectasis in children and adults in Australia and New Zealand. Medical Journal of Australia, 193(6) 356-365.
Three Menzies researchers inducted as Fellows of the newly formed Australian Academy of Health and Medical Sciences.
Menzies' head of child health Professor Anne Chang was recently awarded a senior practitioner fellowship as part of the National Health and Medical Research Council's yearly multi-million dollar funding round.
One doctor’s mission to beat childhood lung disease.
Two esteemed lung health and cancer research programs from the Menzies School of Health Research were today declared ‘Centres for Research Excellence’ and awarded funding of $2.5 million each over five years.