- National Disability Insurance Agency (NDIA)
- Aboriginal Family Support Services
This work is part of AIMhi resource development. The Information, Linkages and Capacity Building (ILC) Iron Triangle Community Engagement Project is an evaluation of the engagement process of Aboriginal Family Support Services (AFSS) within the Iron Triangle First Nation communities, and the development of resources, for improvement to access of the National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS).
The aim of this project is to evaluate engagement of AFSS workers in helping build understanding for First Nations community members about the NDIS system and linked services. The resources provide a culturally appropriate set of tools to enable better understanding of, and to improve engagement with, the NDIS, utilising the AIMhi teams knowledge and skills.
There were three rounds of interviews with Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal people from service providers and community members, ranging from 19 to 69 years of age from Port Augusta, Port Pirie and Whyalla in South Australia.
The interviews were conducted face to face or via phone/email and were completed at baseline, 3 monthly and 6 monthly intervals. At baseline there were 61 participants, at 3 monthly there were 52 participants and 6 monthly interviews were 50 participants.
As a result of the information gathered from these interviews, resources have been developed and are available on the national NDIS reimagining website.
Chief investigator and project manager:
For more information:
- Email Dr Michelle Sweet
1 March 2019 - 30 June 2020
- Yarning about NDIS
- Can I get NDIS?
- Yarning about NDIS, How we can help you connect
- Yarning about NDIS careplan
- NDIS 'No shame' brochure
- How the NDIS can help your child (0-6 years): Fact sheet 1
- How the NDIS can help your child (0-6 years): Fact sheet 2
- How the NDIS can help your child (0-6 years): Fact sheet 3
- What is NDIS? (0-65 years)
- Can I get NDIS (0-65 years)
- Understanding the NDIS (0-65 years): Eyre Peninsula, South Australia
- Yarning about NDIS: 'Yarning about NDIS' briefly explains what conditions NDIS can support and includes national contact numbers.
- Can I get NDIS?: 'Can I get NDIS' briefly explains which people might be eligible to access NDIS.
- Pathways to support: 'Pathways to support' explains the different services people may be able access through NDIS plans.
- No Shame: 'No Shame' links people with NDIS and lets people know that NDIS wants to hear from you.
- Give NDIS a ring! (Pitjantjatjara)
- It's for youth too Unna! (English)
- Nyumiti sends a message to her family on APY lands