Dr Sumon Das
Bachelor in Medicine and Bachelor in Surgery (MBBS), Dhaka National Medical Collage and Hospital, Bangladesh, 2003; PhD (Life-course Epidemiology and Biostatistics), The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia, 2019
Dr. Das is an epidemiologist with quantitative research skills and expertise in developing, implementing, conducting and managing different types of research programs and projects such as RCTs, cohort/longitudinal studies,systematic reviews, and clinical guidelines that are most likely to make an immediate impact on the health of the disadvantaged population. His medical background and PhD in life course epidemiology ensure a strong capacity of multidisciplinary approaches to understand the biological processes that underpin disease, to provide new insights, explanations, and support rationales for more exploratory trials and cohort studies.
Dr. Das has significant research experience in maternal and child nutrition, childhood infections, and non-communicable diseases (renal insufficiency, obesity and hypertension). He worked as Associate Scientist at NCSD, icddr,b; as Research Fellow at UCRH, Sydney University, NSW; and as Research Assistant at SPH, UQ, QLD. Between 2018 and 2020, Dr. Das worked as Senior Research Officer at CRE-ICHEAR before joining the CCDE.
Dr. Das has been involved with 23 clinical and epidemiological research projects and published 110 manuscripts and book chapters. He participated in updating the Otitis Media (OM) guidelines for the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander population including an OM app using the recommended GRADE approach.
- The factors underlying child protection substantiations and juvenile criminal behaviour for Aboriginal children and youth in the Northern Territory
- Impacts of Banned Drinkers Register Re-introduction in Northern Territory
- Leach, A. J., Homoe, P., Chidziva, C., Gunasekera, H., Kong, K., Bhutta, M. F., . . . Morris, P. (2020). Panel 6: Otitis media and associated hearing loss among disadvantaged populations and low to middle-income countries. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol, 130 Suppl 1, 109857.
- Levine, M. M., Nasrin, D., Acacio, S., Bassat, Q., Powell, H., Tennant, S. M., . . . Kotloff, K. L. (2020). Diarrhoeal disease and subsequent risk of death in infants and children residing in low-income and middle-income countries: analysis of the GEMS case-control study and 12-month GEMS-1A follow-on study. Lancet Glob Health, 8(2), e204-e214.
- Biswas, T., Magalhaes, R. J. S., Townsend, N., Das, S. K., & Mamun, A. (2020). Double Burden of Underweight and Overweight among Women in South and Southeast Asia: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Adv Nutr, 11(1), 128-143.
- Das, S. K., Chisti, M. J., Sarker, M. H. R., Das, J., Ahmed, S., Shahunja, K. M., . . . John Baker, P. (2017). Long-term impact of changing childhood malnutrition on rotavirus diarrhoea: Two decades of adjusted association with climate and socio-demographic factors from urban Bangladesh. PLoS One, 12(9), e0179418.
- Das, S. K., McIntyre, H. D., & Mamun, A. A. (2017). An early life course association of pulse pressure with adulthood estimated glomerular filtration rate: evidence from a large community-based birth cohort study. J Hypertens, 35(2), 392-400.
- Owais, A., Schwartz, B., Kleinbaum, D. G., Suchdev, P. S., Faruque, A. S., Das, S. K., & Stein, A. D. (2016). Minimum Acceptable Diet at 9 Months but Not Exclusive Breastfeeding at 3 Months or Timely Complementary Feeding Initiation Is Predictive of Infant Growth in Rural Bangladesh. PLoS One, 11(10), e0165128.
- Baker, K. K., O'Reilly, C. E., Levine, M. M., Kotloff, K. L., Nataro, J. P., Ayers, T. L., . . . Mintz, E. D. (2016). Sanitation and Hygiene-Specific Risk Factors for Moderate-to-Severe Diarrhea in Young Children in the Global Enteric Multicenter Study, 2007-2011: Case-Control Study. PLoS Med, 13(5), e1002010.
- Das, S. K., Chisti, M. J., Malek, M. A., Das, J., Salam, M. A., Ahmed, T., . . . Faruque, A. S. (2015). Changing childhood malnutrition in Bangladesh: trends over the last two decades in urban-rural differentials (1993-2012). Public Health Nutr, 18(10), 1718-1727.
- Kotloff, K. L., Nataro, J. P., Blackwelder, W. C., Nasrin, D., Farag, T. H., Panchalingam, S., . . . Levine, M. M. (2013). Burden and aetiology of diarrhoeal disease in infants and young children in developing countries (the Global Enteric Multicenter Study, GEMS): a prospective, case-control study. Lancet, 382(9888), 209-222.
- Das, S. K., Golam Faruque, A. S., Chowdhury, A. K., Chisti, M. J., Hossain, M. A., Salam, M. A., . . . Al Mamun, A. (2012). Lipoprotein status among urban populations in Bangladesh. Atherosclerosis, 223(2), 454-457.