Dr Pravina Shagar
Lecturer in Public Health
PhD, Griffith University, 2019; MPH, National University of Malaysia, 2013; BSc, Monash University, 2010
Pravina Shagar is a public health expert with a focus on health promotion. Pravina has teaching experience in Malaysia and Queensland and her research interests include the psycho-social well-being of young adults, quality of life of young adults, cross-cultural studies, lifestyle behaviours, global and environmental health, public health policy and advocacy. Pravina currently teaches in the postgraduate public health program at Menzies. Pravina teaches Chronic Conditions Control and Global Health and is the unit coordinator for the Master of Public Health Research Project.
- Health promotion
- Psychosocial wellbeing of international students studying in Australia
- COVID-19 recovery strategies for migrant communities in Queensland
- Deshpande, S., Knox, K., Shagar, P.S. & Vilela, A. (2020). Social De-Marketing of Tobacco Consumption through Government Policies: Analysis of 190 countries. Journal of Public Policy & Marketing (in progress).
- Shagar, P.S., Donovan, C.L., Lee, P., Harris, N. & Boddy, J. (2018). Body dissatisfaction, Weight-related behaviours and Lifestyle behaviours: A comparison between Australian and Malaysian emerging adults (accepted). Behaviour Change.
- Shagar, P.S., Donovan, C.L., Lee, P., Harris, N. & Boddy, J. (2018) “Does culture moderate the relationship between body dissatisfaction and quality of life?: A comparative study of Australian and Malaysian emerging adults (accepted). Health Psychology Open.
- Shagar, P.S., Donovan, C. L., Loxton, N., Boddy, J. & Harris, N. (2018). Is thin in everywhere?: A cross-cultural comparison of the Tripartite Influence Model in Australia and Malaysia. Appetite, 134, 59-68.
- Shagar, P.S., Harris, N., Boddy, J. & Donovan, C.L. (2017). The Relationship Between Body Image Concerns and Weight-Related Behaviours of Adolescents and Emerging Adults: A Systematic Review. Behaviour Change, 34(4), 208-252. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1017 /bec.2018.3
- Shakiba, N., Shagar P. & Hod, R. (2014). Solid Waste Management in Kuala Selangor and Sabak Bernam. IOSR Journal of Environmental Science, Toxicology and Food, 8(9), 41-46. doi:10.9790/2402-08924146.
- Shagar, P.S., Shakiba, N. & Rahmah, M.A. (2014). Factors Associated With Misperception of Own Weight Status Among 18-21 Year Old University Students. IOSR Journal of Nursing and Health Science, 3(5), 25-31. doi:10.9790/1959-03512531.