Dr Kate Anderson
Senior Research Fellow, TACTICS CRE, Wellbeing & Preventable Chronic Disease Division
PhD of Public Health, School of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, University of Sydney, 2010; Bachelor of Science (Psychology) Hons 1, University of Sydney, 2004; Bachelor of Arts (English and Philosophy), University of Sydney, 1996;
Kate is a Senior Research Fellow working with Menzies Cancer team.
She works collaboratively across a range of projects, using predominantly qualitative research methods, to explore and document reasons for the health disparities facing Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians.
Her roles include project management, qualitative research and student supervision where she enjoys sharing and developing her research skills, especially in mentoring and supervising emerging researchers and the ongoing opportunities to challenge her preconceptions and paradigms.
- Anderson, K., Diaz, A., Parikh, D.R. et al. (2021). Accessibility of cancer treatment services for Indigenous Australians in the Northern Territory: perspectives of patients and care providers. BMC Health Serv Research, 21, 95. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-021-06066-3
- Howard, K., Anderson, K., Cunningham, J. et al. (2020). What Matters 2 Adults: a study protocol to develop a new preference-based wellbeing measure with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander adults (WM2Adults). BMC Public Health, 20, 1739. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-020-09821-z
- Butler, T., Masa, A., Martinez-Bredeck, H., Anderson, K., Girgis, A., Aoun, S., Cunningham, J., Wakefield, C., Shahid, S., Smith, B., & Garvey, G. (2021). The experiences of caregivers of Indigenous cancer survivors in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States: a systematic review. Journal of Psychosocial Oncology Research and Practice, 2(4), p e040.
- Butler, T.L., Anderson, K., Condon, J., Garvey, G., Brotherton, J.M.L., Cunningham, J., Tong, A., Moore, S. P., Maher, C. M., Mein, J. K., Warren, E. F., & Whop, L.J. Indigenous Australian women's experiences of participation in cervical screening. PLoS ONE, 15(6). https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0234536
- Brands J, Garvey G, Zorbas H, Chenowyth J, Morris B, Anderson K, Cunningham J, Knott V. Development of a National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cancer Framework: Drawing on stakeholders’ lived experience and expert knowledge to guide effective policy and practice. Int.
- J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2018, 15, 942. Gall A, Leske S, Adams J, Matthews V, Anderson K, Lawler S, Garvey G. Traditional and complementary medicine use among Indigenous cancer patients in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the US: a systematic review. Integrative Cancer Therapies. 2018. Article first published online: May 21, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1177/1534735418775821
- Morris BA, Anderson K, Cunningham J, Garvey G. Identifying research priorities to improve cancer control for Indigenous Australians. Public Health Res Pract. 2017; 27(4).
- Anderson K, Cunningham J, Devitt J, Preece C & Cass A. "Looking back to my family": Indigenous Australian patients' experience of hemodialysis. BMC Nephrol. 2012, Sep 20;13:114.
- Anderson K, Devitt J, Cunningham J, Preece C, Jardine M, Cass A. If you can't comply with dialysis, how do you expect me to trust you with transplantation? Australian nephrologists' views on indigenous Australians' 'non-compliance' and their suitability for kidney transplantation. Int J Equity Health. 2012 Apr 18;11:21.
- Anderson K, Devitt J, Cunningham J, Preece C & Cass A. "All they said was my kidneys were dead": Indigenous Australian patients' understanding of their chronic kidney disease. Med J Aust 2008,189, 499-503.
- Anderson K, Yeates K, Cunningham J, Devitt J & Cass A. They really want to go back home, they hate it here: The importance of place in Canadian health professionals' views on the barriers facing Aboriginal patients accessing kidney transplants. Health Place 2008; 15(1): 390-393.
- Anderson K, Cass A, Cunningham J, Snelling P, Devitt J, Preece C. The use of psychosocial criteria in Australian patient selection guidelines for kidney transplantation. Soc Sci Med 2007;64(10):2107-14.
- Cass A, Cunningham J, Anderson K, et al. Decision-making about suitability for kidney transplantation: Results of a national survey of Australian nephrologists. Nephrology 2007; (12):299-304.
- Morton R, Devitt J, Howard K, Anderson K, Snelling P & Cass A. Patient Views About Treatment of Stage 5 CKD: A Qualitative Analysis of Semistructured Interviews. American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 2010, 55(3): 431-40.
Click here to view more Kate Anderson publications in PubMed.