senior research officer
2011 Doctorate of Philosophy, Burnet Institute & Monash University, Australia; 2003 Bachelor of Science with Honours, University of Melbourne, Australia; Majors: Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Genetics; 2002 Diploma in Modern Languages (German), University of Melbourne, Australia
Dr Jo Wapling is a classically trained molecular virologist and 'jack of all trades' microbiologist. She has worked in various laboratories around the world including Malawi, Timor Leste and Papua New Guinea. She recently returned Australia to join the Menzies team in Darwin.
Looking at medicinal properties in Tiwi plants.
The Conversation - Beating Around the Bush - Article by Dr Greg Leach - Meet the Kakadu Plum.
Menzies School of Health Research trainee Raelene Collins has been nominated for a top award for her work in the lab as part of the CRCNA's traditional Australian medicinal plant agribusiness project.
Dr Greg Leach writes about taking a specimen collected in the southern part of Kakadu National Park to the mecca of botanical knowledge in London, the Royal Botanic Gardens Kew.
NT News Business section - Opinion by Tracey Hayes - Director of the Cooperative Research Centre for Developing North Australia.
Life Matters talks to Queensland University medicinal chemist Jo Blanchfield and Taylah Church, an Indigenous trainee at the Menzies School of Health Research, about the project.
In today’s National Rural News a new research project to draw on the knowledge of Indigenous communities at 2:52"
Research project investigating the possibility of developing commercial sector.
An Australian-first research and commercial partnership aims to explore the development of a sustainable agribusiness model for traditional Australian medicinal plants growing in northern Australia.
Indigenous medicinal plants will be put under the microscope as part of an Australian-first research project to look at commercialisation opportunities for bush medicine.
An Australian-first $1.01 million research and commercial partnership aims to explore the development of a sustainable agribusiness model for traditional Australian medicinal plants growing in Northern Australia.
The Coalition Government is contributing more than $360,000 to research traditional Australian medicinal plants.
An Australian-first $1.01 million research and commercial partnership aims to explore the development of a sustainable agribusiness model for traditional Australian medicinal plants growing in Northern Australia
- Greenhill AR, Mutreja A, Bulach D, Belousoff MJ, Jonduo MH, Collins DA, Kas MP, Wapling J, Seemann T, Lafana A, Dougan G, Brown MV, Horwood PF. Wave 2 strains of atypical Vibrio cholerae El Tor caused the 2009-2011 cholera outbreak in Papua New Guinea. Microbial Genomics. 2019 Feb 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- Kelly-Hanku A, Bell S, Ase S, Boli-Neo R, Vallely AJ, Badman SG, Nightingale CE, Wapling J. Developing a culturally appropriate illustrated tool for the self-collection of anorectal specimens for the testing of sexually transmitted infections: lessons from Papua New Guinea. BMC Public Health. 2019 Feb 20;19(1):214:
- Bell S, Wapling J, Ase S, Boli-Neo R, Vallely AJ, Kaldor JM, Nightingale CE, Kelly-Hanku A. Acceptability of testing for anorectal sexually transmitted infections and self-collected anal swabs in female sex workers, men who have sex with men and transgender women in Papua New Guinea. BMC Public Health. 2018 Jun 20;18(1):776.
- Vallely AJ, Toliman PJ, Ryan C, Rai G, Wapling J, Gabuzzi J, Kumbia A, Kombuk B, Kombati Z, Vallely LM, Kelly-Hanku A, Wand H, Tabrizi SN, Mola GDL, Kaldor JM. Association between visual inspection of the cervix with acetic acid examination and high-risk human papillomavirus infection, Chlamydia trachomatis, Neisseria gonorrhoeae and Trichomonas vaginalis in Papua New Guinea. Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2018 Jan 30.
- Vallely LM, Toliman P, Ryan C, Rai G, Wapling J, Gabuzzi J, Allen J, Opa C, Munnull G, Kaima P, Kombuk B, Kumbia A, Kombati Z, Law G, Kelly-Hanku A, Wand H, Siba PM, Mola GDL, Kaldor JM, Vallely AJ. Performance of syndromic management for the detection and treatment of genital Chlamydia trachomatis, Neisseria gonorrhoeae and Trichomonas vaginalis among women attending antenatal, well woman and sexual health clinics in Papua New Guinea: a cross-sectional study. BMJ Open. 2017 Dec 29;7(12): e018630
- Blyth CC, Ford R, Sapura J, Kumani T, Masiria G, Kave J, Yuasi L, Greenhill A, Hwaihwanje I, Lang A, Lehmann D, Pomat W; Papua New Guinea Pneumonia and Meningitis Etiology Study Team. Childhood pneumonia and meningitis in the Eastern Highlands Province, Papua New Guinea in the era of conjugate vaccines: study methods and challenges. Pneumonia. 2017 Mar 5;9:5.
- Vallely LM, Toliman P, Ryan C, Rai G, Wapling J, Tomado C, Huliafi S, Munnull G, Rarau P, Phuanukoonnon S, Wand H, Siba P, Mola GD, Kaldor JM, Vallely AJ. Prevalence and risk factors of Chlamydia trachomatis, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Trichomonas vaginalis and other sexually transmissible infections among women attending antenatal clinics in three provinces in Papua New Guinea: a cross-sectional survey. Sexual Health. 2016 Jun 2.
- Unger HW, Ome-Kaius M, Wangnapi RA, Umbers AJ, Hanieh S, Suen CS, Robinson LJ, Rosanas-Urgell A, Wapling J, Lufele E, Kongs C, Samol P, Sui D, Singirok D, Bardaji A, Schofield L, Menendez C, Betuela I, Siba P, Mueller I, Rogerson SJ. Sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine plus azithromycin for the prevention of low birthweight in Papua New Guinea: a randomised controlled trial. BMC Med. 2015 Jan 16;13:9.
- Arnott A, Wapling J, Mueller I, Ramsland PA, Siba PM, Reeder JC, Barry AE. Distinct patterns of diversity, population structure and evolution in the AMA1 genes of sympatric Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax populations of Papua New Guinea from an area of similarly high transmission. Malar J. 2014 Jun 14;13:233.
- Vallely A, Ryan CE, Allen J, Sauk JC, Simbiken CS, Wapling J, Kaima P, Kombati Z, Law G, Fehler G, Murray JM, Siba P, Kaldor JM. High prevalence and incidence of HIV, sexually transmissible infections and penile foreskin cutting among sexual health clinic attendees in Papua New Guinea. Sex Health. 2014 Mar;11(1):58-66.
- Siba V, Horwood PF, Vanuga K, Wapling J, Sehuko R, Siba PM, Greenhill AR. Evaluation of serological diagnostic tests for typhoid fever in Papua New Guinea using a composite reference standard. Clinical and Vaccine Immunology, 2012 Nov;19(11):1833-7.
- Reeder JC, Wapling J, Mueller I, Siba PM, Barry AE. Population genetic analysis of the Plasmodium falciparum 6-cys protein Pf38 in Papua New Guinea reveals domain-specific balancing selection. Malaria Journal. 2011 May 14;10:126. doi: 10.1186/1475-2875-10-126.
- Schultz L, Wapling J, Mueller I, Ntsuke PO, Senn N, Nale J, Kiniboro B, Buckee CO, Tavul L, Siba PM, Reeder JC, Barry AE. Multilocus haplotypes reveal variable levels of diversity and population structure of Plasmodium falciparum in Papua New Guinea, a region of intense perennial transmission. Malar J. 2010 Nov 23;9:336.
- Wapling J, Moore KL, Sonza S, Mak J, Tachedjian G. Mutations that abrogate human immunodeficiency virus type 1 reverse transcriptase dimerization affect maturation of the reverse transcriptase heterodimer. J Virol. 2005 Aug;79(16):10247-57.
Click here to view more Jo Wapling publications in PubMed.