Research and Project Manager AODG Team Wellbeing & Preventable Chronic Diseases Focus Areas
PhD candidate, Charles Darwin University; Certificate of Indigenous Research Methodology, University of Melbourne, 2012; Graduate Certificate in Accelerated Literacy, Charles Darwin University, 2007; Master of Education, Charles Darwin University, 2002; Bachelor of Education, Northern Territory University, 1993; Diploma of Teaching, Northern Territory University, 1991
Ms. Donna-Maree Stephens is a Research and Project Manager within Alcohol, Other Drugs and Gambling at Menzies, where she is involved in a number of projects including the Remote AOD workforce development project and Demand Study for Alcohol Treatment Services in the NT. Donna is also a part of a national Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander evaluation webpage project led by Better Evaluation (https://www.betterevaluation.org).
An Iwaidja woman, of the Muran clan in northwest Arnhem land, Donna grew up in Darwin and began teaching in 1992 focused on research informed practice in education settings. She has worked across a range of educational institutions and sectors including primary, middle years and higher education. As a CDU lecturer in Education her research included the role of mentoring and coaching in professional teaching placements, stress in undergraduate pre-service teachers, success pathways for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander pre-service teachers and on-line learning.
In 2014 Donna worked as a part of an Office of the Pro-Vice Chancellor Indigenous Leadership – CDU and Australian Government HEPPP research team. As a senior lecturer she contributed to this research through work in Literacy and Numeracy support in Higher Education and pathways from VET to HE, particularly within education settings.
- Demand Study: Alcohol Treatment Services in the Northern Territory
- Evaluation of the remote Alcohol and Other Drug Workforce (RAODW) monitoring and evaluation capacity building project
- Orygen – National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health
- Stephens, D., Clifford, S., Mellor, R., van de Ven, K., Ritter, A., Smith, J.A., D’Abbs, P., Stevens, M., Dyall, D. & Christie, B. (2019). Demand Study for Alcohol Treatment Services in the Northern Territory. Darwin, Menzies School of Health Research.
- Reid, C. and Stephens, D. (2017), Cosmopolitan theory and Aboriginal teachers' professional identities, Global Teaching: Southern Perspectives on Teachers Working with Diversity, Palgrave Macmillan
- Robbins, D., 2011. Developing Pre-service teacher knowledge with ICT in Indigenous Contexts. In Global Science and Technology Forum Conference Proceedings, Annual International Conference on Education and eLearning, GSTF 2011 EeL, Singapore: 194-199
- Bartlett, C., Robbins, D., 2009. Digital Delivery of Professional Development For Accelerated Literacy Teachers: Final report for deliverable under the National Accelerated Literacy Program. Contract for the provision of funding between the Department of Education and Training and Charles Darwin University, DEEWR, Commonwealth of Australia