Guide to becoming a Menzies higher degree by research student:
1. What research project/area are you interested in?
Identify the research project/area you are interested in by:
- visiting the Menzies’ student projects website to find out what projects are currently available
- browsing our research to find out more about our diverse research areas.
To become a Menzies student your primary supervisor needs to be based at Menzies, you need to have research interests matching Menzies research expertise and be enrolled through Charles Darwin University (CDU).
2. Identify and contact potential supervisors
- If you’ve identified a specific project contact the primary supervisor to discuss your options further
- If you’ve identified a research area, email our research degrees administration officer who will assist with contacting a potential supervisor to discuss supervision and potential projects
- Please include a brief cover letter, your most recent academic transcript and current resume.
3. Check your eligibility
- Doctor of Philosophy: You must have completed the equivalent of an Australian bachelor degree with at least second class honours division A, or an Australian masters degree (with a substantial research component). Alternatively, you may have other qualifications and/or experience equivalent to these degrees.
- Master by Research: You must have completed the equivalent of an Australian bachelor degree with at least second class honours, or other qualification and/or experience equivalent to this degree.
- International students:
- You must have successfully completed the equivalent of an Australian honours degree or masters degree.
- You must satisfy the CDU English Language Proficiency Requirements for research degrees: IELTS (Academic Module): An overall minimum score of 6.5 with no band less than 6. For IELTS equivalents please click here.
- Regardless of CDU's requirements and acceptance of certain equivalents, all applicants must still satisfy Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) English language proficiency (ELP) requirements for student visa applications (if applicable).
To become a Menzies student your primary supervisor needs to be based at Menzies, you need to have research interests matching Menzies research expertise and you need to be enrolled through Charles Darwin University.
4. Identify suitable funding sources (scholarships)
There are scholarship opportunities available for domestic and international students. For more information about scholarship opportunities, please click here.
5. How to apply?
Once you have agreed on a potential research project with a prospective Menzies supervisor, you need to lodge an application for a postgraduate research degree with CDU. Our research degrees administration officer will assist with you the application. Click to download an application pack.
Domestic applicant closing dates each year:
For admission with scholarship application: 31 October
For admission without scholarship application: 01 March
International applicant closing date: 31 October
We advise applicants to submit completed applications to the Menzies research degrees administration officer at least two weeks prior to the above dates.
6. After you’ve submitted your application
CDU will liaise with Menzies on the progress of your enrolment application. If you have any questions regarding your application please contact our research degrees administration officer. Once you receive your confirmation of enrolment, please make an appointment with our research degrees administration officer to receive information on Menzies student induction, and information about the role of Menzies in supporting your studies.